I had the opportunity to work with Jon Galloway on his Data Dictionary Creator tool recently. It was a good time.
- Added documentation of tables as well as columns
- Changed Excel export from HTML based to XMLSpreadsheet to support separate worksheets for Table and Column documentation
- Improved error handling – detection of non-DBO logins, etc.
- (UI) – tab reorganization to fit workflow a little better
- (UI) – moved feedback and progress bars to statusbar for consistency
- Support for SQL 2000 and 2005 export scripts (there were several breaking changes from 2000 to 2005)
- Limited import functionality (SQL and XML)
- Added an Installer
As Jon says, it is worth a look:
DDC is a nice utility to help you document your databases. Even if that kind of thing doesn’t appeal to you, you might want to check out the code if you’re at all interested in using SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) or saving data to multiple formats (Word via WordML, Excel SpreadsheetML, HTML) using XSLT.